Saturday, November 30, 2013

School Visits and Magic

I’ve been having an amazing time visiting schools lately! Primrose has been so welcoming. During my time I’ve loved watching the reactions to the story I’ve woven together. I have yet to have a group that wasn’t engaged in the story, which was my big fear going in. It’s interesting not being the teacher in the situation for once. I’m still getting used to navigating the guest side of a school environment.
I’ve loved talking to the children and watching them grow ever more interested in the tale that’s unfolding, but recently there was one little girl in the back of the classroom that has truly stuck with me. I see her face when I sit down to right or when I feel my heart beat faster before I introduce myself to the next reading. I never learned her name, but while I told my tale she stayed completely focused. You could see her eyes widen and wonder that bloomed like a rose as she waited on the edge of her seat for the next page. At one point she looked at me in complete awe and asked “They came to life?!” For this child I had created something that was real.

 An artist’s work is like sharing a piece of your soul. Taking my stories out feels akin to cracking my head open and letting people roam around inside. Now when I fear the reactions I might face I see this little girl. I remember that for a few brief moments magic was real and she believed completely in my words. The world had fallen away until only the sound of my voice and the pictures remained. I didn’t know I could do that. Of all the things I’d imagined and hoped for that experience trumped them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment